Monday, February 24, 2014

FEAR


























Painting:    SOLD
"Fear"
oil on panel, 2013
5" x 3.5" (12.7cm x 8.89cm)

Drawing:
sketchbook page, 2013
drawing approximately 3" x 2.75" (7.62cm x 6.985cm)
NFS

Fear, one of our most basic emotions.
With that in mind I kept it simple.
I will for search something as I do these. It may not be some big concept but at the very least I want it to have some kind of quality to it.
I immediately noticed in the drawing it took on a childlike quality. I wasn't even going for that but now it exudes childhood fear, an irrational fear or primal fear? It did not even have to be dark in tone or color. It did not have to be overt in its depiction, there are no looming shadows, the source of the fear is not shown, it's the reaction, the facial expression is enough.

From the drawing I made subtle changes in the painting. A slight tilt to the head made it better express the fear. Same with the white halo.
I do prefer the leaves in the drawing though, especially the one coming towards. It comes forward better (has better depth) and is scaled to the flower better.

The diagonals in the drawing are the ghost images of the next page.8,9

No comments:

Post a Comment